Welcome future Physics & Astronomy students!
If you are interested in majoring in one of our programs, or are not sure yet, this page and our Planning Your First Year page can offer guidance to first time first year students as well as some general information that will help you in your first year at Sonoma State.
If you are interested in transferring to Sonoma State for one of our programs, the Transfer Students page can help make sure you know what is required to transfer. Often, transfer students have different course backgrounds, so it is also strongly recommended that you reach out to one of our faculty members for assistance. We are always happy to help you through the process!
About Our Department
The physics and astronomy programs at Sonoma State are comparable with UC schools in the quality of education and the rates of students successfully completing graduate school. Part of this is due to the relatively small class size offered in many of our courses, leading to a much more direct experience with our excellent faculty and a greater opportunity density for the individual student. You will have the potential to win research grants, explore your interests through individual research with faculty, and graduate with a degree in one of the highest paying fields of study around. We look forward to meeting you and helping you along your path!
Take a look at our Graduates & Alumni to explore the careers of our graduates!
The students of the Physics & Astronomy department have access to several research grants and scholarships.
Please explore our facilities and research laboratories to see what research, tinkering, or other opportunities are available to the students in our department.
We offer several Four-Year Degree Programs.
Each program navigates to the catalogue which has sample four year plans included. If these don’t fit your graduation plan, please reach out to your advisor.
- B.S. Physics
- This program offers an in depth and focused approach to physics. The upper division courses offered through this program are excellent preparation for graduate school.
- B.S. Astrophysics
- This program offers a strong base of the study of physics with a focus in astronomy and astrophysics. This program is excellent for those who wish to pursue greater study into the cosmos and provides a solid foundation for graduate school.
- B.A. Physics
- This program offers a broad, yet thorough study of physics. This major is recommended for those who wish to go directly into the industry or become a physics teacher.
- B.A. Physical Science
- This program allows you to study the full range of the physical sciences: physics, astronomy, chemistry, and geology. This major is recommended for those who wish to work in an interdisciplinary field or become a middle school science teacher.
- Physical Science with Concentration in Foundational Health, B.A.
- Physical Science with Concentration in Teaching, B.A.